Acne Treatment in Dubai is widely and readily available, just a phone call away. It included lifestyle changes, medications and procedures. Large number of products and procedures are available to treat acne, it can be confusing and over whelming to choose from. Acne Treatment options are based on the severity of Acne and patient preference. Seeking professional advice is highly recommended. You must keep in mind that to get benefit from any acne treatment you must use regularly and it will take time up to several weeks
What is Acne?
Acne is a very common skin condition occurs when sebum ( waxy oil substance) secreted from skin glands, and dead skin cells clog hair follicles. Hormonal fluctuations particularly during adolescence is part of underlying mechanism. In many, acne can be mild and sporadic, but in some, acne may cause permanent scaring, brings on undesirable appearance, and may lead to anxiety, reduce self-esteem even depression particularly in teenage.
What Causes Acne?
Although several factors can play role in acne, genetics is the primary cause in majority of cases. Another common factor is excessive bacterial growth which may lead to severe inflammation and pus formation.
Topical Treatment for Acne
Topical Treatment for Acne Usually has mild beneficial effect. It is used alone or in combination. They are usually safe. It may cause local irritation, dryness or redness.
1.Non-Medicated topical Acne Treatment
- Cleansers: such as Benzoyl peroxide, Glycolic acid and salicylic acid which help to correct the abnormal shedding of cells and unclog pores.
- Azelaic acid is used topically to treat mild to moderate acne
- Alcohol and acetone: although have some anti-bacterial effect, usually not effective
- Natural or herbal medications: may work, but not many good studies are available to back their claims.
2. Medicated Topical Acne Cream
- Topical Antibiotic: such as erythromycin or clindamycin, is recommended to be used in combination with Benzoyl peroxide for better results. The benefit is limited due to poor penetration, don’t work in deep-seated acne, and does not work on sebum (skin oil) or other clogging factors.
- Vitamin A derivatives: topical Retinoids control skin cell shedding. It increases sensitivity to sunlight and skin irritation
- Nicotinamide cream: The application of 2% topical nicotinamide for 2 and 4 weeks has been found to be effective in lowering the sebum excretion rate
Oral Treatment is more effective than topical treatment but has more side effects, severe at times, and must be taken under close doctor observation
oral Minocycline and Erythromycin has both anti-inflammatory and antibiotic effects, helps for mild to moderate cases, but can’t be used for more than 3 months. It is usually used along with topical creams to reduce sebum and cell shedding
Isotretinoin (Accutane and Roaccutane) is the most effective agent available for acne so far, works on all 3 acne factors, reducing inflammation, skin cell shedding and sebum. Unfortunately it has several side effects, most commonly severe dryness of lips and skin. In some cases can increase liver enzymes and cholesterol. Can not be given to pregnant or breast feeding women
contraceptive (birth control pills) also used in female with good results. It may take 3-4 months to work.
New acne treatment
several very promising new topical and oral treatment have been approved by FDA in the last 2 years. Unfortunately none of these medications are available in UAE yet:
- Clascoterone 1% (Winlevi) is an androgen receptor inhibitor, newly FDA approved (August 2020) topical treatment. Studies shows it is very effective for moderate to severe acne. Can be used by both males and females.
- Sarecycline (Seysara), a new antibiotic, developed specifically for acne, approved by FDA for treatment of moderate to severe cases.
- Bicalutamide (Casodex) is a new hormone-regulating medicine works well for acne and excessive body hair.
Procedures for Acne Treatment
Acne Light Therapy
Light Therapy treats acne by using blue light or red light that preferentially target the sebaceous glands. Photodynamic therapy, PDT, is when regular light is used immediately after the application of a sensitizing cream to the skin resulting in generation of free radicals which kills bacteria and reduce sebum.
Acne Laser Therapy
Acne laser therapy in Dubai has been available for many years and uses couple types of lasers, with or without topical creams, to kill bacteria and damage the glands that produce sebum. Using good quality laser machine by an experienced therapist is essential for a good acne treatment results.
special form of facial use special techniques and products aimed to cleanse the skin, remove black and white heads, kills bacteria and reduce sebum. This also requires special expertise.
such as clay mask act to dry acne lesions Several other procedures are used mainly for acne scar treatment rather than acne treatment.
Benefits of Acne Treatment
Some Important Practical benefits of Acne Treatment
- Non-surgical and non-invasive treatment.
- Not associated with significant pain or discomfort.
- Has minimal downtime.
- Recovery is generally rapid.
One or more treatment modality is being used for optimum benefits. Your doctor can devise a specific plan that works best for you