Lactic acid is a type of alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) that has gained popularity as a skincare fix because of its ability to exfoliate and brighten the skin. A natural compound is tracked down in milk, and has been utilized for quite a long time as a skin-smoothing agent in beauty care products.
One of the main advantages of lactic acid is its ability to further develop pigmentation and uneven skin tone. This is because it is a delicate exfoliant that attempts to dissolve dead skin cells and reveal brighter, more even-toned skin.
When utilized regularly, lactic acid can assist with fading dark spots and hyperpigmentation caused by sun damage, hormonal changes, or acne. It also assists with stimulating collagen production, which can further develop the skin’s surface and decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
In addition to its brightening and smoothing benefits, lactic acid is also known for its moisturizing properties. Not at all like other exfoliants that can be drying or irritating to the skin, lactic acid assists with hydrating and soothing the skin, making it a great choice for those with dry or sensitive skin.
How should it be used?
Lactic acid is a great treatment for pigmentation and uneven skin tone as well as dry, dehydrated, and dull skin. It can also reduce the appearance of fine lines and help stimulate ceramide formation to strengthen the skin’s barrier function. Denning adds, “Its antioxidant properties help mop up free radicals and heavy metals that may come into contact with the skin, protecting it against DNA damage.”In topical skincare, lactic acid can be used as part of the cleansing step or after a cleanser as a standalone ingredient up to twice a day.
To use lactic acid as a treatment for pigmentation and uneven skin tone, it is important to start slowly and build up to more frequent use over time. A gentle lactic acid serum or toner can be used once or twice a week to start, gradually increasing to every other day or daily use as tolerated.
12% Lactic acid Result?
It showed that treatment with 12% lactic acid brought about increased epidermal and dermal immovability and thickness, and clinical improvement in skin perfection and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Hyaluronic acid is another great pairing to help the skin’s hydration, along with lactic acid and vitamin C (ethyl ascorbic acid), amino acids, panthenol, and green tea extract.
“LACTIC ACID CAUSES THE BREAKDOWN OF THE DESMOSOMES (SKIN-BINDING ENZYMES) TO INDUCE SURFACE CELLS TO BE RELEASED."
Lactic Acid Benefits in Aesthetic Treatment
Lactic acid is a versatile ingredient that offers a wide range of benefits in aesthetic treatments. Here are some of the top benefits of using lactic acid in aesthetic treatments:
- Exfoliation: Lactic acid is a gentle exfoliant that can dissolve dead skin cells and reveal smoother, brighter skin. It helps to unclog pores and prevent acne, while also reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Brightening: Lactic acid is known for its ability to improve skin tone and reduce hyperpigmentation. It can help fade dark spots and even out skin tone, leaving the skin looking brighter and more radiant.
- Moisturizing: Unlike other exfoliants, lactic acid helps to hydrate and moisturize the skin. It can help improve the skin’s natural moisture barrier, leaving it soft and supple.
- Anti-aging: Lactic acid can stimulate collagen production, which helps to improve skin texture and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It also helps to improve skin firmness and elasticity.
- Acne treatment: Lactic acid is effective in treating acne-prone skin. It can help to unclog pores, reduce inflammation, and prevent new breakouts.
- Sensitive skin-friendly: Lactic acid is a gentle ingredient that is suitable for sensitive skin types. It can help soothe and calm the skin, while also providing gentle exfoliation.
Overall, lactic acid is a versatile ingredient that offers many benefits in aesthetic treatments. It can be used in a wide range of treatments, including chemical peels, facials, and microdermabrasion, to improve skin texture, reduce hyperpigmentation, and promote a more youthful, radiant complexion. However, it is important to always consult with a licensed aesthetician or dermatologist before undergoing any aesthetic treatment to ensure that it is safe and effective for your individual skin type and concerns.
Best Lactic acid products for Skin-
There are many excellent lactic acid products available on the market, ranging from gentle toners and serums to more potent peels and masks. Here are some of the best lactic acid products that you can consider adding to your skincare routine:
- The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2%: This budget-friendly option contains 10% lactic acid to gently exfoliate the skin, along with hyaluronic acid to hydrate and plump the skin.
- Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One Lactic Acid Treatment: This cult-favorite product contains a potent blend of lactic acid, licorice, and lemongrass to brighten and smooth the skin. It also helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum: This serum contains both lactic and glycolic acids to exfoliate and brighten the skin. It also contains a blend of antioxidants to protect and nourish the skin.
- Farmacy Honeymoon Glow AHA Resurfacing Night Serum: This serum contains a blend of lactic acid, glycolic acid, and flower acids to exfoliate and brighten the skin. It also contains honey, turmeric, and vitamin C to soothe and brighten the skin.
- SkinCeuticals Glycolic 10 Renew Overnight: This powerful night cream contains 10% glycolic acid and 2% phytic acid to exfoliate and brighten the skin. It also helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Keep in mind that, while utilizing lactic acid products, it is important to start slowly and gradually move toward more continuous use to avoid irritation. Always patch test new items and talk with a dermatologist in the event that you have any worries or fundamental skin conditions.
Al Biraa Clinic Dubai – Lactic acid Treatment Suggestion-
It is important to take note of the fact that lactic acid can increase sun responsiveness, so it is crucial to utilize a broad-range sunscreen with a base SPF of 30 while incorporating this fix into your skincare schedule.
Overall, lactic acid is a great option for those looking to improve pigmentation and uneven skin tone, as well as those seeking a gentle, hydrating exfoliant to incorporate into their skincare routine. As with any new skincare ingredient, it is important to patch test and consult with a dermatologist if you have any concerns or underlying skin conditions. If you want a free consultation to clear your doubts about the treatment procedure, make an appointment with our Aesthetic Dermatologist right away. We always try to do our best in the beauty treatment services sector in Dubai.